It was in October 1939 that the idea of forming a Rotary Club in Dehradun was conceived by four friends, Late E.N. Natesan, Late Dr. Durga Prasad, Late Seth Ram Kishore and Shri Hari Krishan. Rtn. Natesan, who was transferred from Bangalore to Survey of India, Dehradun, influenced the other three and convinced them about the objectives of Rotary & the commitment of Rotary towards service to mankind.
An informal meeting was held at Royal Cafe, Dehradun to involve a few more gentlemen and, finally, on the auspicious day of 17th March, 1940, the founding members of Rotary Club Dehradun met at A.P. Mission High School and elected the first office bearers of the club. Rtn. Lt. Col. N.B. Mehta was as elected the first President, Rtn. A.E.Foot, then Head Master of Doon School, as the first Vice President, Rtn. E.N.Natesan as the first Secretary and Rtn. Dr. Durga Prasad as the first Sargeant-at-Arms.